The Future Direction
The term Black Arts or indeed black anything has come to signal confrontation. We at Nu century arts will not shy away from using the term in a way that challenges perceptions, raises concerns about socio/cultural issues that impact on the lives and work of artists from marginalised communities. Changes across the country, coupled with our own growth presents the company with new opportunities to develop; constantly evaluating its beginnings and considering what future roles it should play.
- The Live Box is awarded a ‘Collide’ commission
- Larger Live Box showcase @ The Drum, Aston Featuring Soweto kinch, DJ Biznizz, TY and Steve Williamson Julie Dexter’s first performance with the Live Box
- Live Box first commission for Birmingham Arts Fest, CBSO centre
- Live Box performance in Symphony Hall, Birmingham with teenage jazz group ‘The Waves’
- Live Box performance at Birmingham Arts Fest Main stage, Centenary Square
- Live Box launches first program of workshops at South Birmingham College
- Launch of new Live Box program @ The Drum. Supported by Arts Council of England, and Birmingham City council. Program includes prominent national jazz, hip hop artists.
- Youth Theatre visit to Johannesburg and Pretoria, South Africa
- Live Box performance at Birmingham Arts Fest Main Stage, Centenary Square
- Launch of second year @ The Drum
- Theatre production of Mother of Rain at the Grahamstown festival, South Africa.